The students at Southern Maine Community College
have the opportunity for self-government through the Student
Senate, which is comprised of students on an elective and voluntary
basis. Each department has the option of selecting two students, one each
from the freshman and senior classes, to represent them in all phases
of campus life at SMCC. Meetings are open to all students.
Officers are elected to positions during the spring
semester of each year, and Technology Representatives are elected during
the fall semester. The governing body receives monies through the Student
Activity Fee and directs the disbursement of those funds to the Activities
Committee, clubs and groups requesting assistance. The key roles of student
government are to express student opinions and needs to College
Administration, and to promote activities representing the concerns and
interests of students.
The Student Senate meets on a regular basis, is
open to all students who wish to attend, and assumes responsibilities
related to the following:
1. An Activities Calendar including dances, the Student Activities
Committee of the Senate organizes field days, social events, luncheons,
and student conferences.
2. Limited and partial membership in the YMCA and YWCA whenever possible.
3. Discounted golf at South Portland Golf Course
4. Financial support for:
a. Student clubs and groups
b. general student socials
c. student trips and program speakers
d. theatre productions
5) Identification cards for all students.
6) Student grievances, through a Grievance Committee.
7) Distribution of Student Activity Funds, based on request, need,
etc. (All distributions must be approved by the Student Senate and the
8) Student Senate Clubs, Groups, and Committees.
The following is a list of current clubs and groups and standing committees:
Public Relations Committee
Student Assistance Committee
Students for Environmental Awareness
EMS First Responders
Unity International Club